Connect with us

News

How Johnny Depp Won His Defamation Case Against Amber Heard

Published

on

Source: telegraph.co.uk

Actor’s ‘Obsession With The Truth’ Convinces Jury

The actor was awarded more than $10 million in damages in his blockbuster US defamation case against ex-wife Amber Heard

When Amber Heard arrived for the start of the defamation case brought by Johnny Depp, her lawyers were confident of victory.

It was only 18 months since Mr Depp had lost a blockbuster case at the High Court in London, where he had sued The Sun for calling him a “wife beater”.

Legal analysts said the burden of proof Mr Depp had to reach was high, needing to show that his ex-wife acted with “actual malice” in making allegations of domestic abuse.

That meant proving she either knew what she wrote in a Washington Post op-ed was false, or that she acted with reckless disregard for the truth.

But, over the course of six weeks in court room 5J at Fairfax County Court in Virginia, a jury listened to evidence that swayed them in favour of Mr Depp.

Amid the tales of Mr Depp’s drug-taking with Marilyn Manson, “mega-pints” of wine, and blistering rows, the five men and two women on the jury, unanimously, came to believe the Hollywood star.

Amber Heard leaves Fairfax County Circuit Courthouse

Amber Heard leaves Fairfax County Circuit Courthouse following the verdict CREDIT: Reuters

It was he who gave evidence first, and opened by telling jurors that he was “obsessed with the truth”.

Mr Depp said he had tried to live as a “Southern gentleman” and had lost “nothing short of everything” when Ms Heard’s allegations were made public.

His sister told the court their late mother had been abusive, which meant Mr Depp always sought to avoid confrontation, and would just try to “get away” from it.

Ms Heard appeared to have key damning evidence in the form of text messages Mr Depp sent to his friend, the actor Paul Bettany.

In them Mr Depp suggested “drowning” and “burning” Ms Heard, and carrying out a further obscene act “to make sure she is dead”.

However, Mr Depp told the jury his comments were simply from a Monty Python sketch about witches.

“This is a film we’d all watch when we were 10,” he said. “It’s just irreverent and abstract humour.”

Dr Shannon Curry, a clinical psychologist called by Mr Depp, said Ms Heard suffered from borderline personality disorder.

The psychologist also said Ms Heard had histrionic personality disorder, which could involve “manipulation tactics”.

Amber Heard hugs her lawyer Elaine Bredehoft after the jury said that they believe she defamed ex-husband Johnny Depp

Amber Heard hugs her lawyer Elaine Bredehoft after the jury said that they believe she defamed ex-husband Johnny Depp CREDIT: Reuters

Dr Curry also said Ms Heard had not suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, as she claimed, due to her relationship with Mr Depp.

Ms Heard was forced to deny claims that she had perpetrated a prank in which faecal matter was left in Mr Depp’s bed.

And her case suffered a setback when one of the final witnesses, Kate Moss, the British supermodel and former girlfriend of Mr Depp, gave evidence.

In Ms Heard’s testimony she had mentioned rumours that Mr Depp had once pushed Ms Moss down some stairs.

However, Ms Moss told the court that, in fact, Mr Depp had “tended” to her after she accidentally fell.

Continue reading

News

Frail Jane Fonda, 85, is seen in wheelchair at LAX

Published

on

By

Jane Fonda looked frail as she was seen in a wheelchair arriving back at LAX Airport from the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday.

Fonda wore a black jacket, lavender sweater, black pants and white shirt for her arrival look.

She completed the ensemble with sunglasses and a black face mask.

It is not known why Fonda used a wheelchair –  but in the past she has had back operations, an artificial knee surgery and a hip implant which required her to use the aide.

Sighting: Jane Fonda looked frail as she was seen in a wheelchair arriving back at LAX Airport from the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday

Sighting: Jane Fonda looked frail as she was seen in a wheelchair arriving back at LAX Airport from the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday

Fonda is facing backlash after she called for men to face ‘arrest and jail’ for the destruction done to the planet as she blamed white men specifically for creating the ‘climate crisis.’

‘It is a tragedy that we have to absolutely stop. We have to arrest and jail those men — they’re all men [behind this],’ she said Saturday at the Cannes Film Festival.

She added there ‘would be no climate crisis if there was no racism.’

‘White men are the things that matter and then everything else [is] at the bottom,’ the outspoken actor said of the ‘hierarchy’ that gives men power.

Fonda first shared her thoughts about the connection between racism and climate change in an interview on The Kelly Clarkson Show earlier this year.

‘Where would they put the sh*t,’ she said. ‘They’re not gonna put it in Bel Air. They’ve got to find someplace where poor people or indigenous people or people of color are living.’

Fonda on Saturday called for those in positions to act quickly as she says there is less than a decade to save the planet from the effects of climate change.

‘This is serious. We’ve got about seven, eight years to cut ourselves in half of what we use of fossil fuels, and unfortunately, the people that have the least responsibility for it are hit the hardest,’ she said.

Airport: The iconic actress, 85, who claimed 'white men are to blame for climate crisis' at the festival on Saturday, was seen being wheeled through the terminal by an airport employee after her long-haul flight from France

Airport: The iconic actress, 85, who claimed ‘white men are to blame for climate crisis’ at the festival on Saturday, was seen being wheeled through the terminal by an airport employee after her long-haul flight from France

Global South, people on islands, poor people of color,’ the actress continued.

Her comments came after a question from the audience at the famed film fest.

‘It’s good for us all to realize, there would be no climate crisis if there was no racism. There would be no climate crisis if there was no patriarchy,’ Fonda stated.

‘A mindset that sees things in a hierarchical way. White men are the things that matter and then everything else [is] at the bottom,’ she explained.

The ‘Grace and Frankie’ actor has previously sparked headlines for her head-turning comments on the highly politicized issue.

Back in December Fonda  announced that her cancer is now in remission and has been told by doctors she can discontinue chemotherapy treatment ahead of her 85th birthday next week.

The Barbarella star revealed the happy news to her fans via her website, calling it ‘the best birthday present ever.’

‘Last week I was told by my oncologist that my cancer is in remission and I can discontinue chemo,’ she wrote in a lengthy post.

September post: The star explained that she was receiving chemo, and that she was hopeful for a good outcome

September post: The star explained that she was receiving chemo, and that she was hopeful for a good outcome

In September, Fonda – who has previously battled the disease – announced she had cancer after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, but told fans at the time she felt ‘lucky’ as it is ‘very treatable.’

The thrice-married star said in her latest health update: ‘I am feeling so blessed, so fortunate. I thank all of you who prayed and sent good thoughts my way. I am confident that it played a role in the good news.’

‘I’m especially happy because while my first 4 chemo treatments were rather easy for me, only a few days of being tired, the last chemo session was rough and lasted 2 weeks making it hard to accomplish much of anything.’

Fonda, a two-time Oscar winner, said in September that she was ‘privileged as a celebrity’ and was ‘lucky’ to ‘have health insurance and access to the best doctors and treatment.’

She has previously been diagnosed with both breast and skin cancer, and blamed the latter on her past love of sunbathing.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Tina Turner: legendary rock’n’roll singer dies aged 83

Published

on

By

Tina Turner, the pioneering rock’n’roll star who became a pop behemoth in the 1980s, has died aged age of 83 after a long illness, her publicist has told the PA news agency.
Turner affirmed and amplified Black women’s formative stake in rock’n’roll, defining that era of music to the extent that Mick Jagger admitted to taking inspiration from her high-kicking, energetic live performances for his stage persona. After two decades of working with her abusive husband, Ike Turner, she struck out alone and – after a few false starts – became one of the defining pop icons of the 1980s with the album Private Dancer. Her life was chronicled in three memoirs, a biopic, a jukebox musical, and in 2021, the acclaimed documentary film, Tina.

“Turner’s musical character has always been a charged combination of mystery as well as light, melancholy mixed with a ferocious vitality that often flirted with danger,” scholar Daphne A Brooks wrote for the Guardian in 2018.
Turner was born Anna Mae Bullock on 26 November 1939 and raised in Nutbush, Tennessee, where she recalled picking cotton with her family as a child. She sang in the tiny town’s church choir, and as a teenager talked – or rather, sang – her way into Ike’s band in St Louis: he had declined her request to join until he heard her seize the microphone during a Kings of Rhythm performance for a rendition of BB King’s You Know I Love You.
She had suffered ill health in recent years, being diagnosed with intestinal cancer in 2016 and having a kidney transplant in 2017.

‘I was just tired of singing and making everybody happy’ … Tina Turner performs at the O2 Arena, London, in 2009. Photograph: Stefan Wermuth/Reuters

… as 2023 gathers pace, and you’re joining us from Ghana, we have a small favour to ask. A new year means new opportunities, and we’re hoping this year gives rise to some much-needed stability and progress. Whatever happens, the Guardian will be there, providing clarity and fearless, independent reporting from around the world, 24/7.
Times are tough, and we know not everyone is in a position to pay for news. But as we’re reader-funded, we rely on the ongoing generosity of those who can afford it. This vital support means millions can continue to read reliable reporting on the events shaping our world. Will you invest in the Guardian this year?
Unlike many others, we have no billionaire owner, meaning we can fearlessly chase the truth and report it with integrity. 2023 will be no different; we will work with trademark determination and passion to bring you journalism that’s always free from commercial or political interference. No one edits our editor or diverts our attention from what’s most important.
With your support, we’ll continue to keep Guardian journalism open and free for everyone to read. When access to information is made equal, greater numbers of people can understand global events and their impact on people and communities. Together, we can demand better from the powerful and fight for democracy.

[ via ]

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Mike Tyson Break Silence On Jamie Foxx’s Health : He’s Suffered A Stroke’

Published

on

By

Boxer Mike Tyson has claimed that actor Jamie Foxx suffered a stroke amid his mystery hospitalisation.

Jamie Foxx was hospitalised with a stroke last month, according to former pro boxing legend Mike Tyson.

The Oscar-winning actor was rushed to hospital in April after reportedly experiencing a “medical complication” whilst filming his upcoming Netflix film, Back in Action.

The 55-year-old has since been discharged from hospital and is continuing to recover at a physical rehabilitation facility.

Speaking on the latest episode of the Valuetainment podcast, Tyson updated fans on Jamie’s health condition.

“He’s not feeling well. They said a stroke. I have no idea what happened to him,’ quipped Tyson on the podcast.

Foxx’s family are yet to reveal what happened to the Oscar-winning actor, but have taken to social media to give periodic updates.

Jamie’s daughter Corinne took to Instagram to update fans on her father and said: “My dad has has been out of the hospital for weeks recuperating.”

“In fact, he was playing pickelball yesterday! Thanks for everyone’s prayers and support,” Corinne added. “We have an exciting work announcement coming next week too!”

Foxx was set to portray Mike Tyson in an upcoming biographical TV series, however Mike revealed that the programme is in limbo following his health.

“Well, it was a possibility. I don’t know what’s going to happen now. But, you know, it’s a strong possibility.”

“If we don’t know by now, they don’t want us to know,” said Tyson.

Jamie is now recovering in Chicago after being hospitalised in Atlanta, Georgia.

[ via ]

Continue Reading

Trending