Connect with us

Entertainment

Johnny Depp ‘Wasn’t Looking to Destroy’ Amber Heard as She Settles: ‘Wasn’t About Money’ (Source)

Published

on

Johnny Depp; Amber Heard. STEVE HELBER/POOL/AFP/GETTY; JIM WATSON/POOL/AFP/GETTY

A source close to Johnny Depp is maintaining that he only “wanted the truth” in his court case against Amber Heard.

Following Heard’s decision to settle the defamation case previously brought against her by ex-husband, a source close to the 59-year-old actor tells PEOPLE that “part of the point of appealing it” for Heard, 36, “was both the financial reasons [and] to ensure there wasn’t a judgment in place against her — that has significant ramifications.”

“This judgment is never going away,” the insider continues, adding of Depp, “He has always said he wasn’t looking to destroy her. He said it wasn’t about money, and it’s not! He just wanted the truth.”

After Heard announced her decision to settle, Depp’s attorneys Benjamin Chew and Camille Vasquez said in a statement to PEOPLE, “We are pleased to formally close the door on this painful chapter for Mr. Depp, who made clear throughout this process that his priority was about bringing the truth to light.”

“The jury’s unanimous decision and the resulting judgement in Mr. Depp’s favor against Ms. Heard remain fully in place,” they added. “The payment of $1 million — which Mr. Depp is pledging and will (actually) donate to charities — reinforces Ms. Heard’s acknowledgement of the conclusion of the legal system’s rigorous pursuit for justice.”

On Monday morning, Heard announced in a statement shared to Instagram that she has made “a very difficult decision” to settle the defamation case brought against her by her ex-husband in Virginia, at which a seven-person jury found that Heard defamed Depp in her op-ed about domestic violence and he was awarded more than $10 million in damages.

“It’s important for me to say that I never chose this,” Heard wrote in her statement. “I defended my truth in doing so my life as I knew it was destroyed. The vilification I have faced on social media is an amplified version of the ways women are re-victimised when they come forward.”

FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA - MAY 27: Actor Johnny Depp takes a break during his trial at a Fairfax County Courthouse on May 27, 2022 in Fairfax, Virginia. Closing arguments in the Depp v. Heard defamation trial, brought by Johnny Depp against his ex-wife Amber Heard, begins today. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images); FAIRFAX, VA - APRIL 21:(NY & NJ NEWSPAPERS OUT) Amber Heard departs following the recess for the day outside court during the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard civil trial at Fairfax County Circuit Court on April 21, 2022 in Fairfax, Virginia. Depp is seeking $50 million in alleged damages to his career over an op-ed Heard wrote in the Washington Post in 2018.(Photo by Ron Sachs/Consolidated News Pictures/Getty Images)

Johnny Depp; Amber Heard. KEVIN DIETSCH/GETTY ; RON SACHS/CONSOLIDATED NEWS PICTURES/GETTY

“Now I finally have an opportunity to emancipate myself from something I attempted to leave over six years ago and on terms I can agree to,” she continued. “I have made no admission. This is not an act of concession. There are no restrictions or gags with respect to my voice moving forward.”

In her statement, the Aquaman actress also compared the way her testimony in Depp’s U.K. libel case against The Sun in November 2020 was received to the way her more recent testimony in the U.S. was, writing “popularity and power mattered more than reason and due process.”
“When I stood before a judge in the UK, I was vindicated by a robust, impartial and fair system, where I was protected from having to give the worst moments of my testimony in front of the world’s media, and where the court found that I was subjected to domestic and sexual violence,” Heard wrote on Instagram Monday.
“In the US, however, I exhausted almost all my resources in advance of and during a trial in which I was subjected to a courtroom in which abundant, direct evidence that corroborated my testimony was excluded and in which popularity and power mattered more than reason and due process,” she continued.

“In the interim I was exposed to a type of humiliation that I simply cannot re-live,” Heard added in her statement, as she noted that a successful appeal in the case would only lead to another public trial.

“I simply cannot go through that for a third time,” Heard wrote, going on to say that the U.S. legal process “has shown itself unable to protect me and my right to free speech.”

“I cannot afford to risk an impossible bill — one that is not just financial, but also psychological, physical and emotional,” the actress added. “Women shouldn’t have to face abuse or bankruptcy for speaking her truth, but unfortunately it is not uncommon.”

Heard also stated Monday that she is “choosing the freedom to dedicate my time to the work that helped me heal after my divorce.”

“I will not be threatened, disheartened or dissuaded by what happened from speaking the truth,” she wrote. “No one can and no one will take that from me. My voice forever remains the most valuable asset I have.”

Heard had previously appealed the defamation verdict in November, demanding a reversal or new trial and saying the outcome has a “chilling effect” on women speaking out. In a Nov. 23 Virginia Court of Appeals filing obtained by PEOPLE, the actress and her new lawyers questioned the June 1 verdict as well as why the trial was allowed to take place in Virginia instead of California.

The appeal also argued the trial shouldn’t have moved forward since Depp lost the his U.K. libel case against The Sun over the British tabloid calling him a “wife-beater” — a claim that a London court upheld as being “substantially true” after Heard testified to back up the outlet’s words.

Entertainment

‘Wednesday’ star Catherine Zeta-Jones is all praise for Netflix series and ‘marvellous’ co-star Jenna Ortega

Published

on

By

Catherine Zeta Jones was all praise for Netflix's hit series Wednesday,and co-star Jenna Ortega, in a recent interview.

On Wednesday, January 25, Catherine Zeta Jones, who plays Morticia Addams, spoke to Ross King in a chat show on Lorraine about the Wednesday series being renewed for a second season.

According to Daily Mail, the actress was alongside her husband Michael Douglas at a Burns night celebration.

She told the reporter, “When Tim Burton asked me to do it, I was like ‘whatever you want me to do Tim!’ and then the idea of me playing Morticia, who’s such an iconic, wonderful, juicy character was wonderful.”

Speaking about the show, she said, “It turned out so much better than I think anybody anticipated.”

Catherine also praised her co-star, “Jenny Ortega is just marvellous as Wednesday and through the eyes of Tim Burton it’s a lot of fun.”

The 53-year-old Hollywood star continued, “I’m really happy to be part of it I must say.”

Catherine’s screen icon husband Michael, 78, was certainly a fan of his wife’s work as he chimed in, “She killed Morticia, she really killed it!”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Nia Long Says ‘Fresh Prince’ Costar Will Smith ‘Carried a Burden for Many Years to Represent’ Perfection

Published

on

By

PHOTO: LEON BENNETT/GETTY FOR ESSENCE

Nia Long is proud of how far Will Smithhas come.

In speaking of her former Fresh Prince of Bel-Air costar, Long, 52, applauded Smith, 54, for how he’s handled himself in the spotlight.

“I will always love him. He’s had an incredible career, and he’s carried a burden for many years to try — to represent what perfection looks like,” Long, who played Smith’s character’s girlfriend and fiancée Beulah “Lisa” Wilkes on the series, said in an interview with Yahoo’s Kevin Polowy. “Or what achievement looks like.”

Long also reflected on her generation’s idea of “celebrity” — and how Smith fit into that box. “I don’t think that — at least when we were growing up — there was room to be human. I think he’s now able to be human,” she added.

Last year, Smith went viral after slappingChris Rock on stage at the Oscars. The unscripted moment came after Rock, 57, mocked Smith’s wife Jada Pinkett Smith’s shaved hairstyle, which was done to her alopecia.

Smith, in turn, faced a great deal of backlash before he eventually apologized for his behavior.

Though Long did not directly mention Smith’s outburst, she equated life in the spotlight to that of strict routine, which sometimes does not allow authenticity.

photo: NBCU PHOTO BANK

“We all have our moments in life where we need to reconcile things that we suppress,” she said. “And I think — it’s hard growing up in this business and being front and center every day, all day.”

Of her own career, and backseat spotlight, she added. “Think about it — I can go to the grocery store anytime I want to, and for the most part, people are like ‘Hey, Nia Long.’ No one’s chasing me down the street. I still have my anonymity, and I appreciate that about my career.”

During the conversation, Long also got emotional discussing the difficulties she’s faced in recent months. Long went through a very public breakup last year with her fiancé, former Boston Celtics Coach Ime Udoka, after 13 years together. He had been caught having an affair with a female subordinate within the Celtics organization.

“I’ve had some pretty devastating moments in my life over the last couple of months, and I’ve had to just say ‘It’s alright. You’ll pick yourself back up’ — oh, my God I’m about to cry,” Long added. “You pick yourself back up, and you keep it moving.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Amber Heard Strategically Planned To Make Johnny Depp’s Life Hell? Ended Marriage Days After His Mother’s Death & Filed For Restraining Order On Lily Rose-Depp’s Birthday!

Published

on

By

Did Amber Heard Made Johnny Depp Go Through Worst During His Lowest Points? ( Photo Credit – Instagram ; Movie Still )

Amber Heard very well planned steps in divorce against Johnny Depp to take him down during his lowest phases? Read details now!

Amber Heard has been declared guilty of defaming Johnny Depp during the latest Virginia trial. She was ordered to pay a compensation of $10.35 million which was later settled for only $1 million. But did you know, the Aquaman star strategically took steps during divorce? Well, the details of it will leave you shell-shocked.

A lot had been said and done during the one-year span that Johnny and Amber remained married. There were accusations of cheating with Elon Musk, a threesome with Cara Delevingne and so much more! On the other hand, the Justice League actress accused him of domestic violence, and verbal abuse amongst other claims.

A report by Animated Times now reveals details that are truly giving us goosebumps. It looks like Amber Heard strategically planned to leave Johnny Deppdestructed. She allegedly filed for divorce citing their official separation day as 17th April 2016. Betty Sue Palmer, JD’s mom, passed away just 2 days prior to that and the actor was facing his worst possible phase.

On the other hand, Amber heard filed for a restraining order against Johnny Depp on 27th May 2016. That was again the day Johnny Depp was ideally supposed to celebrate the birthday of his daughter Lily-Rose Depp. But unfortunately, his ex-wife stole the thunder.

One refuses to believe that all of this is mere coincidence!

Meanwhile, Johnny Depp denied all the allegations made against him by Amber Heard and termed them “heinous.”

He reacted to them in court and said, “It’s insane to hear heinous accusations of violence, s*xual violence, that she’s attributed to me, that she’s accused me of. I don’t think anyone enjoys having to split themselves open and tell the truth, but there are times when one simply has to because it’s gotten out of control. Horrible. Ridiculous. Humiliating. Ludicrous. Painful. Savage. Unimaginably brutal. Cruel and all false.”

Source: Koimoi

Continue Reading

Trending