Connect with us

Politics

NPP Government Shared Covid Funds In 2020 Polls, A Member Of Parliament Says

Published

on

Kwame Agbodza

I saw it in Adaklu, [NPP] were distributing the covid funds – Agbodza

Member of Parliament for Adaklu, Kwame Agbodza has claimed that he saw New Patriotic Party (NPP) executives sharing funds that were meant for the fight against Covid-19, in his constituency during the 2020 elections.

He said on the New Day show on TV3, Monday June 6 with Johnnie Hughes that he personally saw the executives of the governing party involved in the money sharing.

“I saw it in Adaklu, [NPP] were distributing the money,” he stressed.

But the Member of Parliament for Sekondi, Andrew Egyapa Mercer denied the claims saying no such thing happened as far as he is concerned.

He explained that due to the impact of the coronavirus, loans were made available to small businesses to enable them keep their enterprises afloat.

This, he said, is probably, being misconstrued by the main opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) to be money sharing for votes.

“We just came out of pandemic,” he said, adding that ” facilities were given to private businesses due to the impact of the Covid on their businesses.”

However, Mr Agbodza challenged that assertion again, asking “Does National Board for Small Scale Industries (NBSSI) give money to businesses due to party affiliations?”

“The money was not meant for businesses they were meant for the NPP to chop,” he stressed.

Meanwhile, the Minority in Parliament has said President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo must authorize a probe into Covid -19 spending if he has respect for the Constitution.

Minority Leader Haruna Iddrisu while addressing the press in Parliament on Tuesday May 31 said the 1992 Constitution was premised on probity and accountability.

To that end, he said, the President must explain how the funds were utilized if he has respect for the Constitution.

“If president Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has any respect for the tenets and values of accountability and transparency, then he should to authorize a pubic probe or inquiry into how the over ¢19bn Covid monies were disbursed.”

“We are further scandalized and we are calling on president Nana Akufo-Addo and reminding him that the 1992 Constitution is premised on probity and accountability and that if he has nay respect for the values and integrity let him probe Covid spending,” he added.

It is recalled that Former President John Dramani Mahama also dared the government to challenge his claim of misappropriation of Covid-19 funds by allowing an independent forensic audit into how Covid-19 funds were used.

He had accused the government of diverting funds, during a public lecture he gave at the Harvard Business School .

He said “…to make matters worse a pandemic windfall in excess of Ghs33bn which could’ve cushioned the economy remain unaudited and it is believed to have been used largely in a quest to win election 2020 at all cost” he told participants.

Mr Mahama who was the main speaker at the 4th summit of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Professionals Forum in Kumasi stated he maintained his claim and challenged the government to prove him wrong with a forensic audit.

“The only way you can prove me wrong and say that that money was not used for election 2020 is to allow an independent forensic audit into how the money was used,” he said.

But Presidential Advisor on Health, Dr Anthony Nsiah Asare dismissed Mr Mahama’s claims.

Speaking in interview with TV3, Dr Nsiah Asare said “For anybody especially the Former Head of State who has been in government before, who has been the leader of this country before, should say this thing at an international forum, to me it is something that should be condemned.

“If you get international fora and you are speaking about about your country, it is the time for you to let people know what Ghana has done so far as Covid -19 is concerned.”

Source: 3news.com

Politics

Donald Trump privately slammed Ron DeSantis, calling him ‘fat,’ ‘phony,’ and ‘whiny’: book

Published

on

By

Then-President Donald Trump campaigning with Ron DeSantis at a rally in Pensacola, Florida, on November 3, 2018.

Trump slammed DeSantis in private, wrote New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman in her new book.

Citing sources, Haberman wrote that Trump had called DeSantis”fat” and”whiny.”He also said Chris Christie, another rival, had a”weight problem,” per Haberman’s book.

Former President Donald Trump has been making rude comments in private about Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, according to a new book by New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman.

In an excerpt from “Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America,” published by The Atlantic on Sunday, Haberman detailed a meeting she had in the summer with Trump at the latter’s golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey.

During the meeting, she spoke with Trump about Christie, one of his 2016 election rivals.

“I was compared to him? Why? I didn’t know I had that big of a weight problem,” Trump told Haberman, per her account. He also called Christie an “opportunist.”

Haberman also wrote that she had heard of Trump using similar terms to describe DeSantis. She also recalled learning from sources that Trump had called DeSantis “fat,” “phony,” and “whiny” while also taking credit for the latter clinching the governor’s seat in 2018.

Per the excerpt, Trump told Haberman that the question he most often received was whether he would be running for president again.

“The answer is, yeah, I think so. Because here’s the way I look at it. I have so many rich friends and nobody knows who they are,” Haberman wrote of Trump’s response.

She added: “Reflecting on the meaning of having been president of the United States, his first impulse was not to mention public service, or what he felt he’d accomplished, only that it appeared to be a vehicle for fame, and that many experiences were only worth having if someone else envied them.”

Representatives for DeSantis and Christie and an aide at Trump’s post-presidential press office did not immediately respond to Insider’s requests for comment.

DeSantis and Trump have been posited as leading contenders for the 2024 Republican presidential ticket, though neither has made a formal declaration about running in the next election.

In July, a DeSantis representative told Insider that DeSantis remains “focused on Florida and running for reelection as governor this year.” However, the governor has been boosting his political profile launching a fundraising blitz that included selling a gold “Florida First Fighter” card that appeared to resemble the Trump Card.

DeSantis also has high-profile supporters, such as podcast host Joe Rogan, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, and billionaire and Trump megadonor Peter Thiel.

Trump has reacted harshly to the idea that DeSantis might be a potential competitor for the 2024 GOP ticket.

In July, the former president slammed “Fox & Friends” for reporting on polls that showed DeSantis taking the lead over him, accusing the show’s hosts of having “gone to the dark side.” Earlier this month, Trump took a swipe at DeSantis, sharing an Insider story about his polling lead over DeSantis via his Save America political action committee.

Rolling Stone also recently reported that Trump was irritated that DeSantis was stealing his limelight with a political stunt that involved two planeloads of migrants being flown to Martha’s Vineyard, a Democratic enclave.

Continue Reading

Politics

Activists Warn Of Violence Against Women During Kenya’s Elections

Published

on

By

On August 6, three days before the August 9 election, two human rights organizations issued a warning against women’s victimisation. They said that violence had occurred in Kenya during the election campaign, including verbal assaults, harassment, and even rape.

Despite government warnings and promises to address the issue, the campaign “has been marred by violence against women”. This’s according to a joint statement from the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and Kenya Human Rights Commission (KHRC).

The “several” rape incidents that took place during the campaign are mentioned. Four of the incidents took place outside of a June 19 meeting that was ultimately canceled.

Tuesday will see Kenya’s general elections, during which 22.1 million voters will select the country’s president. They will also be members of parliament, governors, and approximately 1,500 local elected officials.

The two organizations claim that female candidates, three of whom are running as presidential candidates’ running mates, have been “confronted with sexist and aggressive language, (…) gender stereotyping, online gender abuse, and sexual harassment.”

They contend that “these strategies are used consciously to bar female politicians or female candidates from entering the political arena.”

In Kenya, elections frequently lead to violent incidents, including sexual and gender-based violence.

Human rights organizations claim that at least 900 people experienced sexual assault, including gang rape and castration. This they said occurred during the 2007–2008 post-election crisis, which resulted in the deaths of over 1,100 people.

International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and Kenya Human Rights Commission (KHRC) Statement

According to KHRC, which recorded 201 cases of election-related sexual and gender-based violence, sexual violence against women and girls was pervasive during the unrest that followed the 2017 election.

Security forces were used in more than half of the attacks. However, the statement claimed that “to date, no action has been taken by the government to ensure justice for victims.”

Sheila Muwanga, vice president of FIDH, stated that “the government’s failure to stop the targeting of women in politics and to hold perpetrators accountable (…) has allowed the violence to recur.”

UN experts pleaded with Kenyan officials last month to “ensure that women can freely participate in the electoral process without discrimination, harassment, or fear of a possible recurrence of sexual and gender-based violence.”

A Nairobi court mandated that the government compensate four women who were assaulted following the 2007 election in 2020.

Continue Reading

Politics

Somalia: Parliament Approves Cabinet As Mortar Fire Hits Mogadishu

Published

on

By

In Somalia, Sunday, a majority of members of parliament approved the country’s appointed cabinet by a show of hands.

Prime Minister Hamza Abdi Barre’s 75-member government was confirmed moments after mortar shells struck residential neighborhoods near the presidential palace in Mogadishu.

” The quorum is 237 MPs, seven MPs refused, one MP abstained while some 229 MPs endorsed the approval the new cabinet ministers, therefore it is approved “, the speaker of the house,  Adan Mohamed Nuur Madobe, said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.  ” We have no recorded casualties so far as investigations are ongoing ,” district security official Mohamed Abdifatah said.  Security challenges will remain top of the agenda of the newly appointed cabinet.

The cabinet, which includes a former Al-Shabaab deputy leader and spokesman, Mukhtar Robow, is also known as Abu Mansur. He is sworn in as Religious affairs minister. The now  53-year-old, publicly defected from the Al-Qaeda-linked militants in August 2017.

” I thank Allah. And I am very pleased that MPs unanimously approved my government and its programme to perform, Allah Willing “,  PM Hamza Abdi Barre told.

In addition to the Al-Shabaab insurgents who have been waging a bloody war against the government and the people of Somalia for 15 years, a looming famine will also be one of the new cabinet s priority.

Prior to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Somalia imported 90% of its wheat from both countries. In Mogadishu, food stocks provided by international donors have been depleting.

Regarding security, President Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud said ending the violent insurgency required more than a military approach.

Continue Reading

Trending